Thе Unіtеd Nations Development Prоgrаmmе (UNDP) wаѕ established in 1965. UNDP ѕuрроrtѕ соuntrіеѕ іn dеѕіgnіng аnd implementing nаtіоnаl policies for ѕuѕtаіnаblе humаn development towards асhіеvіng the Sustainable Dеvеlорmеnt Gоаlѕ (SDGѕ). In Dесеmbеr 2015, UNDP hаd аrоund 7500 ѕtаff members. With a ѕtrоng рrеѕеnсе іn thе fіеld, 90 реr сеnt оf ѕtаff were bаѕеd in 130 соuntrу оffісеѕ іn 170 countries.
UNDP fосuѕеѕ on glоbаl development аnd ѕuрроrt countries аnd ѕuрроrtѕ them with solutions іn thrее main аrеаѕ:
- sustainable development
- democratic gоvеrnаnсе аnd peace building
Thе Unіtеd Nаtіоnѕ Dеvеlорmеnt Programme (UNDP) іѕ thе Unіtеd Nаtіоnѕ’ global development network. UNDP advocates fоr change аnd соnnесtѕ соuntrіеѕ to knowledge, experience аnd resources tо hеlр people buіld a better lіfе. It provides expert аdvісе, trаіnіng аnd grаntѕ ѕuрроrt to developing соuntrіеѕ, wіth іnсrеаѕіng emphasis оn аѕѕіѕtаnсе tо thе least dеvеlореd соuntrіеѕ.
UNDP helps developing соuntrіеѕ tо wоrk towards full еmрlоуmеnt аѕ a wау tо асhіеvе macroeconomic ѕtаbіlіtу. The organization рrоvіdеѕ policy аdvісе, саrrіеѕ out аррlіеd policy rеѕеаrсh аnd соnnесtѕ ѕtаkеhоldеrѕ through роlісу dialogue. UNDP еnhаnсеѕ countries сарасіtу to ensure thаt lаbоr mаrkеtѕ аnd social рrоtесtіоn роlісіеѕ аrе more іntеrlіnkеd аnd mоrе effective fоr рооr реорlе.
UNDP еntаіlеd training courses designed tо hone thе ѕkіllѕ оf уоung реорlе to еnаblе thеm tо fіnd jоbѕ. Aссоrdіng tо the UNDP, the trаіnіng courses covered ѕеvеrаl fіеldѕ, including cooling аnd air соndіtіоnіng, соѕmеtіс science and hоѕріtаlіtу.
Agency: United Nations Development programme (UNDP)
Title: Local Security Associate
Job ID: 9864
Practice Area – Job Family Management
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 16/05/2017
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External Bureau Africa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The Field Security Associate (FSA) under the overall supervision by the Head of the Sub-Office Maiduguri and while reporting to the National Security Officer (NSO, secondary supervisor) on functional policy and technical matters, in coordination and cooperation with UNDSS and UNDP’s Security Office (SO), provides specialized security advisory and operational support services to the UNDP Sub-Office in Maiduguri. These functions are related to crisis preparedness and contingency planning, emergency operations and activities relative to the security and safety of UNDP premises, personnel, eligible family members, eligible partners and contractors, resources, assets, facilities, programmes, and projects in addition to promoting, enabling and supporting UNDP programme delivery throughout the country while ensuring compliance with United Nations security policies, procedures and regulations.
The primary objective of the deployment of the FSA is to support Sub-Office management and programme personnel with the implementation of security management measures aimed at the protection of, and minimizing the risk to, UNDP personnel, eligible family members, property and operations while enabling programme delivery throughout the area of responsibility.
This will be achieved through:
- Providing operational support to the Sub-Office and project management facilitating implementation of security management measures;
- Strengthening the security arrangements and maintaining a security support network of international and national security personnel;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in implementation of Area Security Plan
- MOSS/ RSM Compliance and Threat & Risk Assessment
- Programming and Sharing Information
- General Assistance
Assists in implementation of Sub-Office and Project Offices Security Plan.
Provide assistance to the Sub-Office and Project Offices in the implementation of the Area Security Plan, Contingency Plans and the UN Security Framework, including ensuring that all UNDP personnel are covered by relevant Security Plans;
In conjunction with the HR Unit, ensure Staff Lists are maintained and regularly provided to UNDSS and the NSO;
Maintain and test UNDP Sub-Office Communications Plan;
Maintain Entrance/Exit Check Lists;
Administer and test the UNDP Sub-Office Warden Plan;
Facilitate security clearances for staff in all UNDP presences in the area of responsibility;
In coordination with UNDSS, ensure availability of updated and adequate procedures for dealing with emergencies involving UNDP staff in all locations/offices;
In coordination with UNDSS be prepared for 24-hour response to all security and safety related incidents involving UNDP staff.
MOSS/RSM Compliance and Threat & Risk Assessment
- Ensure that UNDP personnel, offices, residences and equipment are MOSS/ RSM compliant;
- Ensure that all staff members posted to UNDP Sub-Office have completed the Basic and Advance Security in The Field Training and that records of certificates are maintained with the HR Unit;
- Provide advice on the selection and procurement of appropriate equipment for security (vehicles, telecommunications equipment, etc). Monitors the procurement, deployment and functionality of the same;
- Coordinate with the Head of Sub-Office, NSO and UNDSS to conduct periodic appropriate security assessments of UNDP premises and equipment and provides advice on shortfalls in security preparedness with recommended improvements and solutions;
- Coordinate with the UNDP NSO, Head of Sub-Office, UNDSS and building occupants in implementing UNDP office security measures and procedures (access control of visitors and vehicles).
- As requested, provide inputs to UNDSS to assist in the preparation of comprehensive Security Risk Assessments (Country, Regional, Site, Project or Individual specific);
- Under the direction of the NSO and in close cooperation with UNDSS, assists in the conduct of UNDP security risk assessments, evaluations and surveys and advises the Sub-Office on security measures for UNDP offices and projects in all locations.
In close coordination with NSO and UNDSS, ensure appropriate professional liaison with host government agencies, local authorities responsible for security, law and order, counterparts in UN and diplomatic missions and municipal/traditional leaders.
- Programming and Sharing Information
Provides advice on relevant security policies and regulations (e.g. MOSS, the Accountability Framework, SOPs and safe and secure practices) to assist decision makers in determining potential effects on UNDP activities;
Under the direction of the NSO/ Head of Sub-Office and in close coordination with UNDSS and the UNDP Management, review the impact of security factors on UNDP Programme design and delivery, as well as the potential impact that programmes might have on stability and security (both positive and negative), and makes preliminary recommendations regarding possible security needs and improvements.
Provide timely and accurate security advice to all staff;
Immediately report all security and safety related incidents involving UNDP staff to the NSO/Head of Sub-Office, DRSS and UNDSS;
Ensures that UNDP Programme staff members are provided with situation reports and other appropriate security related information generated by UNDSS;
Encourage an exchange of security related information with UNDP staff member;
Assist in the preparation of UNDP security reports such as the Incident Reports and Weekly Reports;
Provides substantive support to the Field-Office in collecting and updating information with regards to security issues and communicating them to key interlocutors.
- General Assistance
- Maintain routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to security issues;
- Takes minutes and/or notes at UNDP Security meetings.
- Assist in implementation of Business Continuity Management, as required.
- Provide assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting UNDP staff and offices;
- In close cooperation with NSO/UNDSS, provides support in organizing and conducting training briefings and courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness and giving orientation to newly assigned staff members;
- Represent UNDP at security meetings, as appropriate, in the absence of the Head of Sub-Office
- Perform UNDP SURGE duties in the sub-region under the direction of the RSA/SRSS as required;
- Perform other security-related tasks assigned by the CO NSO, Head of Sub-Office and/or SRSS.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Security & Safety (General)
- Knowledge of the UN Security Management System (UNSMS) and UNDP’s role in addressing security issues
- Security Policy Management
- Knowledge of security policy concepts and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Security Incident Management & Monitoring
- Ability to provide adequate response to security incidents/events
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education. A University Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
6 years relevant experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Fluency in English and good knowledge of Hausa is required. Knowledge of French is an asset.
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computer skills (MS word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically Fit